Telkom: We won't throttle streaming on unlimited wireless

Comments

• I use this service for streaming TV services like ShowMax, Netflix, Supersport and Itunes and they do throttle me once I reach the 50GB cap!!!! I tried to explain to them that the above services is not part of their FUP and it's not the same as P2P networking like Torrents etc. They don't seem to understand this so can you please follow up with Telkom? My case no is 18807455
  • Jannas007 said:
    I use this service for streaming TV services like ShowMax, Netflix, Supersport and Itunes and they do throttle me once I reach the 50GB cap!!!! I tried to explain to them that the above services is not part of their FUP and it's not the same as P2P networking like Torrents etc. They don't seem to understand this so can you please follow up with Telkom? My case no is 18807455
    @{Jannas007} That's odd - I also use it at home and I've noticed throttling on P2P once, but never on Netflix et al. Will definitely pass the message on to our contacts to see if anything's changed.
  • Does anyone use kodi and stream via ares addon? Does Xbmc get caped if you strem from other servers like 123 movies. Does this count as legit streaming services?
  • I have been experiencing problems with my LTE connection. For some reason i get throttled from 6 PM to 12 PM. During the day i get up to 50 Mbps, but after 6 PM it is reduced to less than 1 MBps. And this is for normal streaming and HTTP traffic. I have called Telkom numerous times, but it doesn't seem like the call center agents know what to do with my quarry.

I'm thinking of cancelling the contract in the next month if the problem is not resolved. Just a quick question, do i need to pay a penalty, for canceling the contract, if Telkom is not delivering the service i pay for.

Case number: AI2500640

• Johan said:
    Does anyone use kodi and stream via ares addon? Does Xbmc get caped if you strem from other servers like 123 movies. Does this count as legit streaming services?
    I use Kodi with some add-ons. It only counts towards a cap if it's P2P traffic afaik - although if there's a massive amount of traffic via http or ftp you might end up in a FUP war

• I have been experiencing problems with my LTE connection. For some reason i get throttled from 6 PM to 12 PM. During the day i get up to 50 Mbps, but after 6 PM it is reduced to less than 1 MBps. And this is for normal streaming and HTTP traffic. I have called Telkom numerous times, but it doesn't seem like the call center agents know what to do with my quarry. I'm thinking of cancelling the contract in the next month if the problem is not resolved. Just a quick question, do i need to pay a penalty, for canceling the contract, if Telkom is not delivering the service i pay for. Case number: AI2500640
    I'm not 100% sure, and I can certainly ask our contacts at Telkom. My guess would be that the response from an engineer would be that it's an "up to" best-possible service - you're not being throttled it's just traffic in your area to the mast is booming at those times.

The dropoff shouldn't be that dramatic though. If you think you're being throttled I'd get screenshots of Speedtest at different times over the course of a few days. If you want us to raise it, ping me an email adam at htxt dot co dot za.
  • edited September 2016
    They wont throttle streaming? Well, they are! They even sold me a entertainment topup to reduce my usage for Showmax. Clearly they are monitoring the usage incorrectly and not adhering to their own Fair Use Policy. Case number 19576771.